BLG lawyers have successfully represented clients in both state and federal appeals. We represent clients in appeals for cases we originally tried – wherein we seek to retain the results garnered by our trial counsel, or overturn judicial error for an improper result. The diversity of the firm’s general litigation practice allows us to serve our clients’ appellate needs in all aspects of the appeal. Many appellate issues benefit from early attention once an appeal is imminent. We are diligent in preserving error at the trial level and in litigating post-trial motions.
Effective public advocacy not only requires sophistication of legal analysis, but keen oral argument and brief writing skills. The experience of our attorneys, including prior employment within Florida’s Second District Court of Appeal, allows us to represent a client’s appellate needs successfully and with utmost appellate persuasion.
- All aspects of appellate litigation
- Brief preparation
- Oral argument
- Appellate motion practice
- Appellate research
- Preserving trial verdicts
- Fee recovery
- Writs of certiorari, mandamus and prohibition
STATE APPELLATE DISTRICTS:
First Appellate District: Alachua, Baker, Bay, Bradford, Calhoun, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gilchrist, Gulf, Hailton, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Leon, Levy, Liberty, Madison, Nassau, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Suwannee, Taylor, Union, Wakulla, Walton, Washington
- Comprising the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th and 14th Circuits
Second Appellate District: Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota
- Comprising the 6th, 10th, 12th, 13th, and 20th Circuits
Third Appellate District: Dade, Monroe
- Comprising the 11th and 16th Circuits
Fourth Appellate District: Broward, Indian River, Okeechobee, Palm, Beach, St. Lucie, Martin
- Comprising the 15th, 17th, and 19th Circuits
Fifth Appeallate District: Brevard, Cirtus, Flagler, Hernando, Lake, Marion, Orange, Putnam, Seminole, St. Johns, Sumter, Volusa,
Comprising the 5th, 7th, 9th, and 18th Circuits
Northern District: Court held in Gainesville, Marianna, Tallahassee, Panama City, and Pensicola.
Middle District: Court held in Fernandina, Ft. Meyers, Jacksonville, Live Oak, Ocala, Orlando, St. Petersburg, and Tampa.
Southern Disrict: Court held in Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Pierce, Key West, Miami, and West Palm Beach.
All Federal Appeals from the Federal districts in the state of Florida are heard in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Atlanta, GA.
Aggressive – this word best describes the BLG approach toward litigation. Although we counsel our clients to prevent litigation, when litigation issues arise, we stand aggressively committed to providing our clients with the highest caliber of legal representation. The strength of our litigation attorneys flows directly from their extensive experience in litigating a full range of complex business, commercial, and governmental cases.
We confer with our clients at the beginning of any contested matter to review and discuss potential strategies and evaluate the costs and benefits associated with each option. Once we decide on an overall strategy with our clients, we work with our clients to develop a budget and determine specific staffing requirements. We have experience at every level of court system, including state and federal courts. Our litigation attorneys have a natural affinity for the courtroom and have participated in more jury trials than any comparable firm. Our attorneys are as skilled at winning cases before juries or a judge as they are at producing favorable results through extensive knowledge of pretrial litigation strategies and dispute resolution.
- All aspects of commercial litigation
- Insurance defense litigation
- Bad faith litigation
- Constitutional litigation
- Uniform Commercial Code litigation
- Health Care litigation
- Labor and Employment litigation
- Government litigation
- Construction litigation
- Trade Secret and Non-Compete litigation
- Corporate litigation
- Receivership litigation
- Appellate litigation
- Tort litigation
- Business litigation
- RICO and Antitrust litigation
Construction disputes invariably involve interpretation of contracts. BLG has extensive hands on experience analyzing, drafting, and negotiating all types of project agreements, and equal familiarity with the A1A project documents. We have experience with a variety of design and construction agreements ranging from architectural and engineering, design build, engineering procurement and construction management agreements thereby enabling us to resolve all aspects of construction disputes.
The BLG construction attorneys handle trials, arbitration and mediation, architect and engineering claims, products liability and warranty claims, building design defects, transportation, environmental concerns, public and private surety bond claims, construction liens, delay damage claims, and design and construction claims. Our construction lawyers have experience in state and federal court, arbitration, and other alternative dispute mechanisms.
- All aspects of construction litigation
- Arbitration and Administrative hearings
- Bid Protest
- Building envelope failures, water intrusion, mold issues
- Construction errors and omissions
- Delay, acceleration, disruption, loss of productivity claims
- Compensation claims
- Construction lien and bond disputes
- Construction and design defect claims
- Contract drafting and negotiation
- Differing site condition claims
- Payment and Performance Bonds
- A1A contract disputes
Be it the start-up or sophisticated multi-national corporation, BLG has the full experience and qualifications to handle the vast range of legal issues associated in the world of complex corporate and securities law and the complexity of related litigation. BLG attorneys combine knowledge of corporate law with real life business experience and creativity to achieve optimal results to the client.
- All aspects of corporate litigation
- Entity selection
- Shareholder agreements
- Derivative actions
- Confidentiality and Non-Compete Agreements
- Shareholder disputes
- Officer and director liability
- Certificates of Authority
- Securities arbitration
BLG advises and represents policyholders and carriers in coverage disputes across all industry sectors. Our goal is to help insurance companies, self-insured companies and insureds successfully navigate today’s increasingly litigious society in a proactive and cost efficient manner. We have created one of the most diversified and sophisticated insurance practices in Florida that has consistently produced outstanding results both in and outside the courtroom.
We have experience in all aspects of insurance coverage, from third party general liability defense to sophisticated products and professional liability defense, including first party coverage matters and reinsurance. Our scope of experience includes all insurance issues relating to premises liability, professional liability, products liability and general liability.
- All aspects of insurance litigation
- Attorneys, accountants, and other professional liability claims
- Corporate officers and directors in defense of third party and shareholder claims
- Physicians and other health care providers in defense of medical negligence claims
- Insurance brokers in agent negligence claims
- Insurance companies in coverage matters
- Corporate clients in defense of personal injury actions of all kinds
- Product liability matters on behalf of corporate clients and insurance companies
- Environmental tort claims
- Fire claims
- Construction defect claims
- Civil rights and employment related claims
- Declaratory actions
Labor and Employment Litigation
BLG provides labor and employment services to employers ranging from preventative training to litigation and representation under federal and state labor employment law. We strive to provide the highest quality labor and employment services in as timely a manner as possible from pretrial through trial.
We firmly believe in litigation prevention and we work with clients to prevent unfavorable developments before they happen. We work closely with in-house legal counsel and human resources managers to develop sound employment policies and practices, as well as comprehensive record-keeping systems. We also make ourselves available at all times to immediately counsel and potentially defuse a tense employee situation before it turns into full blown litigation.
- All aspects of labor and employment litigation
- Employment policies and procedures manuals
- Management development and training
- Discrimination cases based on race, sex, age, disability, national origin and religion
- Whistleblower retaliation
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Harassment issues in the workplace
- Public accommodation cases under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Issues involving wage and hour regulations
- Wrongful termination
- Non-Compete, Non-Solicitation and Trade Secrets Agreements
Trade Secrets And Non-Compete Litigation
Businesses face constant challenges when seeking to protect proprietary information and prevent unfair competition, particularly, in our rapidly changing world of internet or email, which facilitates mass dissemination of protected information. When coupled with the increased mobility of employees in a fast paced business environment, there is invariably a risk that threatens the investment any employer makes in customer relationships, trade secrets, confidential information, and personnel. To protect this investment, BLG lawyers draft and enforce restrictive covenant agreements and protect trade secrets for businesses across Florida. We have represented entities and former employees to uphold or dismantle non-competition agreements.
- All aspects of trade secret and non-compete litigation
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Breach of non-compete, non-solicitation, and non-disclosure agreements
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Tortious interference with business relationships
- Employee interference or raiding
- Temporary restraining orders
- Permanent non-compete injunctions